Malware and Hacking
What is Malware
Malware is software designed to damage your computer
Types of Malware
- Trojan: A malicious program that masquerades as something harmless
- Virus: Attaches itself to another program
- Ransomware: Encrypts storage devices and holds them for ransom
- Worm: a program that replicates itself to other devices
How is Malware delivered?
- Downloads: From the web or email
- Malvertising: Advertising used to deliver malware
- Exploit kits: Software designed to give a hacker access to your device
- Drive by downloads: Websites with similar names to a trusted website (facebok.com)
- Social Engineering: using someones information or connections against them
How to stop Malware
- Updates: Always update your computers, don't put it off.
- Anti-Virus: Use a strong and trusted antivirus to protect your computer
- Firewall: Turn on your device firewall
On mobile phones
- Updates: keep your phone and apps up to date
- Password protect: use a strong password (not just a pin) to protect your device (fingerprint, face-ID, password)
- Official app stores: Don't use an app store other than Google Play or the App Store for IOS.
- Jailbreaking or Rooting: Just don't do it.
- App permissions: don't give apps access to things they don't need to do their job.
On web browsers
- Safe browsing: practice safe browsing habits and don't go to untrustworthy websites
- Ad-Blockers: You should use one, we recommend uBlock Origin or Ghostery
- Security Settings: look at your browsers settings and be sure they are set to maximise your security