What is identity theft?
- Someone steals your personal information
- Uses it without permission
- Can be used to damage your finances, credit history and reputation
How can I know my information was stolen?
How does identity theft happen?
- Steal information from trash or from a business
- Trick you
- Steal a wallet or purse
- Present false offers
- Swipe your credit card at a gas pump
What should I do if I am suspicious?
Which card is safest?
How can I protect my identity?
- Secure your Social Security Number. If someone asks for it, ask:
-Why do you need it?
-How will it be used?
-How do you protect it?
- Keep your important papers secure
- Be careful with your mail
- Shred sensitive documents
- Be leery of sharing compromising information on social media
- Monitor your Credit Report
-Your right to a free credit report every 12 months: annualcreditreport.com
- Place a Security Freeze on your Credit File with all three Credit Bureaus.
- Reduce the credit limits on your credit cards.
- Use credit cards rather than debit cards for online transactions.
- Use PayPal for online transactions.
- bserve those who take your credit/debit card at restaurants.
- Limit the number of accounts you have open.